Call Now

1300 566 292

Sydney Master Plumbers - Flexible Payment Methods Payment Method
FREE 21 point plumbing and safety inspection to help you avoid additional expensive problems in the future.

Curl Curl Plumbing Blog

The Health of your Tap-ware

Curl Curl Administration Admin Login - Thursday, April 10, 2014

We want to bring your attention to the health of your taps and inform you of some of the things that could be happening in your home right now. We often get busy and think a job is bigger then what it is when all you need to do is pick up the phone and call an expert.

Dripping spout

The modern style tap, one where you only turn the lever a quarter for full flow, is known as a ceramic disc tap. If this is dripping from the spout then the whole central cartridge will need to be looked at and possibly replaced.

The more common tap is a stem or pillar tap, the type where the headgear is turned several times to control the flow of water. If a pillar tap has a dripping spout then the washer will need replacing.

Leaking from the top

If you find water leaking from the top of the tap, it could be one of two problems. Both sound quite daunting with bizarre "plumber words" but are actually easily solved. Firstly, the gland nut which keeps the spindle in place may need tightening. Otherwise, the O-ring, which is the rubber seal that sits on the spindle, needs replacing.

Leaks at the base

Swivel spouts in particular are prone to leaks at the base. This can be quickly fixed by removing the spout and replacing the seal.

Leaks from below

If you find water leaking from the underside of the taps, or for that matter, anywhere else under the sink, don't try and fix it yourself. Instead, place a container under the leak to catch the water and call a professional.


With any of the jobs, it may be tempting to do the DYI, but with any plumbing job there are so many variables within a task and therefore it is always best to get a fully qualified professional to do it.

Trackback Link
Post has no trackbacks.

areas we serve
Areas we serve are North Shore, Northern Beaches, and Inner City including the following Councils:
  • Hornsby
  • Ku-ring-gai
  • Lane Cove
  • Manly
  • Mosman
  • North Sydney
  • Pittwater
  • Sydney
  • Warringah
  • Waverley
  • Willoughby
  • Woollahra